Dacha will be opening its doors to supporters to help CHAW kick off the Paint Bucket Campaign as well as its 45th Anniversary year. For a $20 bracelet, participants get access to an extended happy hour (4pm-8pm) on Tuesday, May 2—at one of the best beer gardens in the city. On May 2, all proceeds from bracelet sales will be donated to CHAW’s Paint Bucket Campaign, and there will be opportunities to win great prizes. This year, CHAW’s Paint Bucket goal is higher than ever: raise $70,000 in 70 days to provide access to quality arts experiences for everyone. CHAW has never turned a student away for inability to pay for an arts class.
Dacha’s Event Manager Alexandra Triana said, “At Dacha we value community and are committed to giving back to the city where we do business. The arts have always been and will continue to be an area we support and promote as it is vital to the connective tissue of Washington, DC. For the mural at Dacha, Liz Taylor was an easy choice for the owners, Dmitri Chekaldin and Ilya Alter. An iconic figure herself, through her work with and support of Whitman Walker Clinic during the 1980s and 1990s AIDS epidemic, she was instrumental in saving lives of those who lived in Shaw and elsewhere in our city. As art often is able to achieve, the mural is a tribute to Liz and the causes she supported.”
CHAW is honored to be partnering with such an outstanding local business, and believes in the economic and cultural benefits of maintaining strong ties between small businesses and arts organizations. CHAW Board Treasurer Kim Langenhahn noted, “As someone new to DC, I feel fortunate to have stumbled upon CHAW within a few weeks of moving to the city. The organization has been a mainstay in Capitol Hill for nearly 50 years and has exposed so many people to the arts, from music lessons to gallery shows, pottery classes to dramatic performances. Every time I walk through CHAW’s doors, I am immediately energized and inspired by the art all around me as well as calmed by the deep sense of community that CHAW has built.”
In just the last two years, CHAW gave away $125,000 in tuition assistance. About 90% of students receiving tuition assistance were children and the other 10% adults.
Join us at Dacha on May 2 and throughout the summer for more great Paint Bucket events.
Dacha Beer Garden is located at 1600 7th St. NW in Shaw, just a few blocks from the Shaw-Howard University metro stop on the green/yellow lines. Bracelets for the extended Happy Hour (4pm-8pm) will cost $20, and may be purchased by cash or credit card at the door. For more information about Cause Tuesday, Happy Hour specials, and Dacha Beer Garden, visit https://dachadc.com/beergarden/. For more information about the Paint Bucket Campaign and to donate, visit chaw.org/donate or call CHAW at 202-547-6839.
To RSVP to the event online, our Facebook event may be found at: https://www.facebook.com/events/627142120830452/.